Monday 3 November 2014

South Island on Wheels: Timaru



Click the link to see the summary of the trip!

------------

Spaceships Rental

Spaceship Beta 2S

Rental Dates:  13 October - 22 October 2014
Rental Rates: $64/day [Rent 10 days, pay only 8 days]
Insurance: All-inclusive $30/day
Add on: Table & Chairs ($50), Gas Canister ($12), GPS ($5/day) & Mains Plug ($40)
Website: http://www.spaceshipsrentals.co.nz/


We finally reached the Spaceship depot and met our companion, Banthas (named after the big elephant in Star Wars), for the next 10 days! All of Spaceship's vehicles are aptly named like Agent Smith for one.


This was our bedroom, our car, our kitchen, our storage area, everything for 10 days. The only thing lacking was probably a shower.

beautiful sky

Our initial plan was to stay one night in Christchurch to catch up on sleep and jet lag and drive to Dunedin the next day. However, we were so excited, felt well rested and didn't want to drive for 4 hours the next day, so we drove to Timaru (1.5 hours) to break the journey.

That was a good idea because we could now spend more time in Oamaru and didn't have to race with sunset.

Glenmark Holiday Park Timaru


Address: 30 Beaconsfield Road, Rd 2, Timaru, NZ
Tel: (03) 684 3682
Website: www.timarumotorcamp.co.nz
Rate: $30 for 2 pax for power site

We finally arrived at the little habour town of Timaru. It was close to sunset and we were exhausted from the flight, the many pit stops along the way for coffee, photo taking and enjoying of the crisp cool air.

A photo posted by Natasha Lim (@natatatasha) on

It has a clean kitchen, spacious camp ground, playground, clean shower facilities and TV lounge! The only thing that irked me was that there was a separate tap for hot and cold water at the sinks. Little did I know, this would be the start of many sinks with such taps to come! It was you either scald yourself or freeze your hand off.

After a nice shower, I still felt like the weather was still cool enough to wear shorts. I must either be stupid or trying to be a hero. I cooked dinner in shorts and I went to bed in just my shorts and t-shirt thinking the car would block out the wind and the comforter thick enough to keep me nice and warm.

I woke up in the middle of the night and woke Gilbert up with a trembling hand. He was smart to have worn his long pants and jacket. He suggested putting on my jeans and gloves and used a sheet which we just tossed a side to layer the blankets.

I just fell right back to sleep.

At that point, I regretted having the initial regret of bringing all my thermal wear.You have no idea how thankful I was for all my warm clothes.

-------------------------------

Read All About:






No comments:

Post a Comment